I wrote a list of best dog toothpaste which you can buy online, but if you are thinking of making homemade dog toothpaste, then you can do that too. You have to follow this complete step by step process, and you will be able to make a completely natural dog toothpaste at home.
Making Homemade Dog Toothpaste
Most of the kinds of toothpaste in the market are made with various chemicals which can be toxic to few dogs. The methods I am going to share here includes all the ingredients which are completely safe and natural. You will find nearly all of them in your kitchen or at most at the nearest grocery shop.
Let us read these methods
- Toothpaste with Baking Soda and Water – Very Simple and easy to use methods. All ingredients are usually available at home, recommended for plaque removal and prevention from ulcers of the oral cavity
- Toothpaste with Coconut oil, baking soda, cinnamon and probiotics – A bit Complex but very beneficial, recommended for tartar removal and bad breath
1. Simple Toothpaste for Removing Plaque
It requires only two ingredients
- Baking Soda
- Take 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda and mix with one tablespoon of water.
- Mix ingredients until baking soda are completely dissolved in water.
- Now you can apply this to your dog’s teeth and brush.
Baking soda contains sodium bicarbonate, which is proven effective for removing stains from teeth. This method is useful for removing plaque but is not very effective in removing hard tartar. You will have to use any other vet recommended toothpaste for that. Which you can choose from this list of 5 best tubes of toothpaste for dogs.
2. Toothpaste for Fresh Breath and Pearl White Teeth
Ingredients in this method are
- Coconut Oil
- Baking Soda
- Take 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Take 3/4 cups of baking soda
- Melt two tablespoons of Coconut oil but cool them after that
- 1/2 tablespoon of probiotics
- Mix all of these ingredients to make a homogeneous mixture.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 2-3 hours to make bacteria active
- Take a dog’s brush and place the mixture on it.
- Do not store the mixture for more than 24 hours.
This mixture contains much more things than the first one. I have already explained the benefits of sodium bicarbonate. So let us talk cinnamon. It plays a significant role to give instant freshness in the breath. Not only fresh breath but cinnamon also helps fights infection.
Probiotics are called good bacteria that are useful for our mouth. They fight against other bacteria and also provide resistance for viral and fungal infections. Use of probiotics in our toothpaste will protect our gums from getting infections.
Final Piece of Advice
Use these methods only if you think that your dog is showing any allergic reactions from ready-made toothpaste. Both of these methods of homemade dog toothpaste are organic and natural, so they do not have side-effects.
You can use this type of paste around 2-3 times per week. You can also add aromatic herbs such as mint for fresh breath. It is totally up to your dog whether he/she likes the flavour of mint or not.
If you like this post, I would appreciate it if you PIN IT: